Skip to main content

What's missing in medical research? - Greg Foot

194,321 Views

2,096 Questions Answered

TEDEd Animation

Let’s Begin…

While all humans share 99.9% of our DNA, differences in the remaining 0.1% hold important clues about the causes of diseases— and their potential treatments. The problem is, the genetics that researchers are combing through are heavily biased to those of people from European descent, and often overlook other ethnicities. Greg Foot explains the importance of ethnic diversity in medical research.

About TED-Ed Animations

TED-Ed Animations feature the words and ideas of educators brought to life by professional animators. Are you an educator or animator interested in creating a TED-Ed Animation? Nominate yourself here »

Meet The Creators

  • Educator Greg Foot
  • Director Kirk Zamieroski
  • Narrator Greg Foot
  • Science Consultant Garrett Hellenthal, Karoline Kuchenbaecker, Suzana Hadjur
  • Producer NIHR University College London Hospitals Biomedical Research Centre
  • Special Thanks Rosamund Yu, Patience Renias-Zuva

More from Getting Under Our Skin